What is the workflow to commercialise IP and patents after grant? How to coordinate with functions other than IP and legal?
This module provides a practical overview of technology transfer. Participants learn concepts, insights and practical tools to integrate data, people, processes and documents. They explore presales (segmentation, target, lead generation), marketing (communication) and deal-making (negotiation, offer, contract drafting).
Also during the module, participants gain practical skills. They learn Patentopolis structured (step-by-step) planning methodology from IP to deal. They are provided with an online platform for data collection, analysis and decision-making from/with management, sales and IP.
This module is highly interactive. It includes teamwork assignments with case studies and real-life examples.
After the seminar, participants can directly apply the methodology to their daily practice.
- Non-lawyers e.g. business executives, technology transfer officers and R&D managers, who have limited knowledge or experience with the commercialisation process and wish to gain a better understanding of them as well as practical tools and insights.
- Lawyers seeking new practical tools (online) to better deliver strategic advice regarding commercialisation in context of the (client’s) company’s long-term goals and market dynamics
Day 1 AM
- IP Commercialisation: Concepts & Model. Different forms of commercialisation and value creation from IP
- Revisit the Matrix for commercialisation. Apply to real-life cases during teamwork assignments
- Introducing Patentopolis 5-step methodology for IP Commercialisation. Introduction to the case study. Personalise the Matrix to the case
- Learning Step 1: IP identification. What is on offer? Portfolio mapping; first IP assessment; Technology Summary
- Applying Step 1 to the case study (teamwork, group discussion)
- Learning Step 2: Market assessment. Lead generation; prospect target lists
Day 1 PM
- Learning Step 3: SWOT/gap analysis IP + market. Transaction types; due diligence. Identify market opportunities using the Matrix
- Learning Step 4: Narrowing in on the target. The “right” transaction type; valuation. IP Offer and preliminary agreements
- Learning Step 5: Completing the deal. Contract drafting overview and extra legal aspects. Focus on licensing agreement outline (grant clauses and definitions, payment terms, performance obligations, warranties and risk-allocation, law and jurisdiction)
“Theory clearly highly linked to practice: Hands-on guidance to define an IP offer up to the deal.”
1 March 2017
“Patentopolis 5-step methodology for commercialization is a good model and methodology.User-friendly toolkit for IP commercialisation.”
1 March 2017